Communication consultants serve as a resource for students in communication enhanced classes.
Working with Students
Consultants serve as peer mentors who support student learning and development in a communication enhanced curriculum. The consultant’s role when working with students is to act as an engaged reader/listener, providing informed, constructive criticism directed toward the focus, scope, evidence, analysis, organization, clarity, and style of papers and presentations. Consultants focus on global issues of assignment criteria, organization, development, and purpose with respect to the disciplinary conventions rather than on correcting surface errors. They also are knowledgeable about other campus resources, like the University Speaking Center and Writing Resources Center. Please read Student Success Stories to learn more about consulant experiences with CxC.
Working with Faculty
Consultants provide faculty with constructive feedback on how students are experiencing communication enchanced curriculum and assignments. Consultants also can develop communication related documents, activities, and workshops to complement faculty instruction. Please read Faculty Success Stories to learn more about faculty experiences with CxC.
Communication Consultant Awards
Every year we acknowledge the accomplishments of our communication consultants with an Outstanding Communication Consultant Award and Outstanding ePortfolio Awards presented at our end of the year celebration.
Outstanding Communication Consultant Award
The Outstanding Communication Consultant Award recognizes a consultant(s) who has demonstrated the willingness and ability to
- provide high quality empathetic, process-oriented feedback in consultations,
- serve as an outstanding representative of the academic department and CxC in the campus community, and
- exceed expectations to ensure departmental and student success in meeting their communication outcomes.
Faculty submit nomination letters of no more than one-page that contains a brief description of why the consultant should be considered for this award by April 1st. Nominated consultants are invited to submit a supporting letter by April 13th of no more than one-page.
Outstanding ePortfolio Award
The Outstanding ePortfolio Award recognizes a consultant(s) whose ePortfolio
- articulates nuanced understandings and awareness of themselves as a communicator and consultant
- demonstrates thoughtful reflection across the Introduction/Welcome, Goals, and Professional Development Activities sections
- connects experiences as a communication consultant to future pursuits in at least one of the ePortfolios sections
- demonstrates strong and consistent communication skills
- uses technical features and/or visual elements to enrich the ePortfolio
All consultants who complete the ePortfolio are eligible for this award. CxC staff will review all ePortfolios during the month of April to develop a pool of candidates.